Wednesday 8 February 2012

Happy Heart - A Gift for You

This is not the pattern I was talking about in the previous post (I'm still working on that one, hopefully to appear soon in my Etsy shop) but I got side-tracked (as I so often do!) by this other idea for a smaller, simpler heart.   

I knew the Catherine-Wheel Join (CWJ) would come in handy in one of my patterns and this is it!

A small heart (3cm wide in size 20) that's quick to tat
and which would look nice on a card.

Forgot to say that this is motif no. 7 for the 25-motif challenge
Happy Heart with 3ds chain at bottom and the ends
just tied around the SR for an easy, no-sewing-in-of-ends finish.
This one is tatted in Lizbeth size 20.

So if you've been putting off trying the CWJ, now is your chance!
As the outer edge of this heart is all done with CWJs.

If you need help with "how to start on a chain",
there is a video on that in the Techniques pages of this blog.

If you need help with the Catherine Wheel Join,
Yarnplayer has made a great video of this technique.

You have to be very careful not to let the threads twist as you make this join or it won't work.  It took me a few goes to get this right but now I can do it quite quickly, so as with everything, just a bit of practice is needed.  I also find it quicker doing this join with an Aero as you can just put your shuttle through the loop in one movement which avoids giving the loop a chance to twist if you let go of it to put down your hook down and pick your shuttle up.  It's a great join!

This one has the ends sewn in
and is tatted in DMC Babylo size 10.
This one I added a few strands of thread and made a small "tasselly thingy".
Also tatted in Babylo size 10.
This one is a bit "wonky" at the tip as I was still working on the stitch count.

On this one I just added a bead and tied a knot.
This one tatted in Lizbeth size 10.



I hope you like it.  Here is the link to download the pattern :  

Best wishes,



16 comments:

  1. Lovely pattern and perfect utilization of the Catherine Wheel join. I love it.

    Thanks!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty heart! I guess it's time for me to learn a Catherine Wheel join. : )

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy tatting hearts! This is a great way to use the Catherine Wheel join, to form an 'outline'. I guess I always thought it had to 'hug' a ring! I'm going to give this a try, after just now watching Marilee's excellent video. Thanks so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Heart indeed, :) I know I will smile each time I see this heart. Hmmm ... I can see adding beads for eyes to brighten the smile further.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the pattern-- it's a pretty heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I love the bead-and-knot idea! What a great way to not only eliminate but actually incorporate those pesky ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! Must...tat....now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Thank you! I was so excited, I forgot my manners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic heart!!! Thanks for sharing the pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful,beautiful hart.
    Thank you for pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful tatting I like the heart 'blue'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the cute pattern.....I am printing it now.....hope to work on it today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the lovely little heart pattern, looks a nice quick one.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! This is just perfect for February. And thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks very much for the pattern, I will make that. Good way for me to learn the Catherine Wheel join!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice and cute :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!